Program Engagement Manager
Alfonso Rivera is the Director of Program Engagement at HRC. He focuses on engaging with community organizations in California to bring awareness of our programs to their clients. He also oversees recruitment efforts and works closely with all of our instructors in recruitment activities. He is an experienced instructor and has taught thousands of youth, couples, and parents in Psychosocial Education programs in the U.S., Mexico, and South America. He has also taught these curricula to inmates at San Diego County correctional institutions. He holds two undergraduate degrees from San Diego State University including Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration, with distinction, as well as a graduate degree from Southern California Seminary. He is happily married to Judith, the love of his life, and they have two amazing little girls, Audrey and Abby.
Get To Know You
- Where are you from? – Originally from Mexicali, Baja California, MX, but migrated to the U.S. when I was two. I’ve lived in San Diego ever since.
- How many years have you worked for HRC? – Started teaching RE classes intermittently from 2010-2018; transitioned to full-time in 2019- present.
- What is your favorite relationship principle you have learned from HRC? – I love Carl Rogers’ 3 conditions for growth- specifically empathy. One of the keys to building stronger relationships is to truly understand how others are feeling, to see things from their point of view, to “put yourself in their shoes”, so that we can respond appropriately.
- What is your favorite movie and/or book? – Movie: The Shawshank Redemption | Book: Bible
- What is your favorite place to travel? – We LOVE to travel as a family. We enjoy all types of places, but Italy has a special place in our heart. What can be better than seeing the sun set in a villa in Tuscany?
- Tell us a little about your family. – My wife and I serve as pastors at Lighthouse Church. We love serving parents and couples. My wife is an LMFT and we also serve in the Counseling ministry there.
Have a question? Need to make a request? Interested in partnering with us? We'd love to hear from you!